Monday, April 28, 2014

Brush Embroidery and the First Attempt at Royal Icing





The magnolia trees are starting to bloom this time of year and this inspired me to try a technique called brush embroidery. The brush embroidery technique involves royal icing that is piped, and smeared with a paintbrush creating a delicate textured petal shape. 

I'm not accustomed to working with royal icing. It has always looked so involved... and complicated. 
Royal icing intimidates me. I have never used meringue powder and the idea of powder sugar all over my kitchen seemed liked a cleaning nightmare. I have even avoided royal icing when past projects have called for it. 

Today I was brave...I looked up that recipe for royal icing! The royal icing wasn't that messy or difficult to make. The thing that I found challenging was adjusting the consistency. I had to learn the difference between piping consistency and  flooding consistency. I will definitely have to build my skills with royal icing and also the brush embroidery technique. There is so much that you can do with royal icing. I can't wait to try royal icing transfers and gingerbread house accents! 

For this project you will need:
  
Shortbread Dough
Flower shaped cookie cutter
Royal Icing that is fairly thick and able to be piped with a piping bag
Small paint brush



Yum! Shortbread! - first cut out your cookies, bake then and let them cool!


Next Pipe around a petal

Use a paint brush that is slightly damp with water to drag the icing to the center of the cookie. 

Repeat the process for the inside petals. 

Let the cookie dry a bit and then add a dot for the center of the flower.

My finished first attempt at royal icing and  brush embroidery!  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: