Friday, May 9, 2014

The Hummingbird Cake Recipe from DC Cupcakes is so yummy!


Last week I bought this book! I figured it was time to move on from the aforementioned "box mix".
This book is so charming the way the Kallinis sisters share they story of their bakery. Baking has been such a huge part of their family. The story made me think of my own grandmother and it makes me want to open a bakery more than ever!


While I was flipping through the pages this certain recipe for hummingbird cake caught my eye! I know this boy that loves banana bread! The addition of pineapple and pecans got my attention right away! They say the humming bird cake is southern like myself. The theory is the humming bird cake got it name because it  makes you hum with happiness and it is as sweet as the nectar that attracts hummingbirds. The first time I saw a hummingbird was on my grandmothers front porch when I was ten.

This weekend the boy and I were planning what to do with our Sunday afternoon and I asked if he had ever had hummingbird cake. He said that he didn't even know what hummingbird cake was! I admitted that I had not ever had humming bird cake either, but that if he could take me by the grocery store then we could have humming bird cake in our kitchen in less than an hour! I told him that it included banana's,  pineapple, and pecans. He agreed to my idea of hummingbird cake, and in less than an hour we had hummingbird cake!  The most amazing smell also wafted throughout the house...seriously I think I just sat there and smelled my hummingbird cupcake until it cooled. My first batch stuck to the wrappers but the second batch was perfect...I think it is because the second time I mashed the banana like it said instead of pureeing it in the magic bullet. I also used foil baking cups the second time and would recommend doing so. The recipe can be found here: Printable Recipe  for the humming bird cupcakes can be found at  http://www.marthastewart.com/print/349227 The vanilla cream cheese frosting recipe http://www.marthastewart.com/print/349228 Enjoy and let me know how your kitchen smells after baking them!



Printable Recipe  for the humming bird cupcakes can be found at  http://www.marthastewart.com/print/349227
The vanilla cream cheese frosting recipe http://www.marthastewart.com/print/349228

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: